Orange County OBGYN
OBGYN Specialists located in Newport Beach, CA and Orange County, CA
If you have a high-risk pregnancy, it’s important to know that Dr. Mahller continues to provide the care you need throughout your pregnancy and delivery. Affiliated with Hoag Hospital, Dr. Mahller and his team have the experience you can depend on, and they help you stay calm and confident with their compassionate care. Contact their office in Newport Beach, Orange County, California, or schedule an appointment online, whether you’re planning a pregnancy or you’re already pregnant and need expert prenatal care.
High Risk Pregnancy Q & A
What is a high-risk pregnancy?
A pregnancy is considered high-risk when the health of the mother or the baby is at risk. Factors that may contribute to a high-risk pregnancy include:
- Mother aged 35 or older
- In vitro fertilization
- Mother aged 15 or younger
- Multiple babies
- Baby has birth defects
- History of giving birth to a baby with congenital disabilities
- Prior low birth weight baby or early delivery
- Gestational diabetes
- Preeclampsia and eclampsia
- Thyroid disease
- Heart disease
What steps can you take to prevent a high-risk pregnancy?
Preconception care may significantly lower your likelihood of having a high-risk pregnancy. During a preconception check-up, Dr. Mahller determines whether you have health conditions that contribute to high-risk pregnancy.
With preconception care, you have time to get chronic conditions like diabetes, thyroid disease, and high blood pressure under control, so that you can have a healthier pregnancy. After you’re pregnant, Dr. Mahller continues to monitor health concerns during regular prenatal checkups.
You can also take steps to change lifestyle habits that put you and your baby at risk during pregnancy. These positive life changes might include:
- Taking 400 micrograms of folic acid every day before and during pregnancy
- Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet
- Maintaining a healthy weight (or losing weight if needed) before getting pregnant
- Getting proper immunizations
- Avoiding smoking, alcohol, and illegal drugs
When should you seek medical attention during pregnancy?
Please call Dr. Mahller any time you have a question about your pregnancy, but call him immediately if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Vaginal bleeding
- Pain or cramping in the lower abdomen
- Persistent headaches
- Persistent watery vaginal discharge, even if it’s a slight trickle
- Regular or frequent contractions
- Pain or burning during urination
- Changes in vision, including blurred vision
- Decreased fetal activity
Will you receive special tests during a high-risk pregnancy?
Dr. Mahller provides close follow-up, personalized care, and special delivery techniques to ensure you have a healthy pregnancy and delivery. As he carefully tracks your baby’s development, he may perform or order specialized tests such as:
- High-definition ultrasound
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Integrated care with specialists if the mother has a chronic disease
- Fetal echocardiography
- Fetal blood sampling